KDE people needs complete async sftp API to make download on dolphin faster.
Description of problem:
On a 100Mbps network, I can transfer files with an average throughput of 11.1 MB/s with sftp get command in Konsole. Transferring the exact files using Dolphin and kio_sftp gives an average throughput of only 1.2 MB/s.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
0.a. Setup a gigabit network with at least two machines and a multiGB file to download on one side.
0.b. Set up ssh access on machine 2
- On machine1 open Dolphin
- Click on the "address" bar. The bar becomes editable
- enter "sftp://<user>@<ip_of_machine2>:/home/<user>"
- Enter password when prompted for one
- After directory loads, "copy"(Ctrl-C) a large local, and "paste" (Ctrl-V) it in the Dolphin window. This starts the transfer.
- Use the "Network Management" widget to observe transfer speed
- Try to copy the same or a similar file with scp: $ scp large.file <user>@<ip_of_machine2>:/home/<user>/
8 Observe the transfer speed either by watching scp output, or using the "Network Management" widget.
kio_sftp: about 1.2 MiB/s average throughput
scp: about 11.1 MiB/s average throughput
Same throughput using both scp and kio_sftp, and same cpu usage.
I transferred one contiguous 65 GiB file. Speeds remain constant in both escenarios. Dolphin scenario almost 2 days downloading some 215GB.
I read someplace in bugs.kde.org a similar problem solved by increassing some buffer size for samba kio slave.
I copied this bug description from https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=985113 replacing statistics with my own data.
People from kde asks me to send it here.